Become a Mentor
The minimum commitment for mentoring is two years and our hope is for a mentor to walk with a child for a lifetime, so it is important that we are thoughtful in our matches we make between a child and a volunteer who could potentially have a profound effect on the child’s life. Due to this, our potential mentor intake process is robust.
We want our mentors to be as ready and equipped as possible. Relationships are all unique and intricate, but our staff is here to support the mentors in the good times and the hard times. From the very beginning, we want mentors to be as informed as possible about relational ministry in West Dallas.
We request that all potential mentors be at least 21 years of age or older, an active member of a local church body and have no violent or drug and alcohol charges for a minimum of three years.
Here are the steps required to become a mentor:
1. Attend a Discover Mercy Street Info Session- We will share information about our mission, vision, history, expectations and answer frequently asked questions. To sign up for a class, click here. Below are the upcoming dates:
Saturday, September 9th from 9:00am-10:30am
Thursday, September 28th from 6:30pm-8:00pm
Saturday, October 14th from 9:00am-10:30am
Thursday, October 26th from 6:30pm-8:00pm
Thursday, November 16th from 6:30pm-8:00pm
Saturday, December 9th from 9:00am-10:30am
Saturday, January 13th from 9:00am-10:30am
Thursday, January 24th from 6:30pm-8:00pm
*All Discover Mercy Street info sessions take place in the Cafe at Mercy Street 3801 Holystone Street, Dallas, TX 75212.
2. Interview with Mercy Street Staff- A mentor coordinator will contact you to schedule a 45 minute interview to get to know you. In this interview, applicants are screened to see if mentoring is a suitable fit for them and answer any questions you may have.
3. Complete Online Mentor Application- Complete online application (received in an email), review and sign our child safety policies and procedures and child abuse policy.
4. Complete MinistrySafe Training- Mercy Street will email you a link to a one hour sexual abuse training video after completing your application. Immediately following the video, completed the simple online quiz.
5. Background Check & Contact References- Mercy Street will conduct a background check and reach out to your references. Please inform them that they will be receiving an email from Mercy Street.
6. Meet the Child and their Family- Yay, this is when the match takes place! Your mentor coordinator will set up an initial meeting for you to meet your mentee and their parent/guardian at their home. At the match, you each will sign a covenant, get to know each other, and go over a handful of details to get you started on the right foot.